Saturday, January 27, 2024

I love you just the way you are!

 "Don't go changing to try and please me, You never let me down before,

I would not leave you in times of trouble, I took the good times, I'll take the bad times 

I'll take you just the way you are .... "

If you're not familiar with the song I'll refresh your memory.  Billy Joel wrote this in the 70s and I have spent the week listening to Diana Krall's five minute version of it on her 2002 Album Live in Paris that won both a Grammy and a Juno in 2003  and is absolutely beautiful. 

I don't know about you but I listen to so many different types of music depending on my day.  I read that dogs like jazz ... do they? Anyway dogs do like music in general so I have been playing Diana Krall a lot this week. Of course I feel a certain devotion to her because she is from Nanaimo, BC and currently does live on the Island. We call Vancouver Island ''The Island." 

I want to think of this song in terms of the people I know and also in terms of myself! I think too often we look for the ways in which we feel we could improve upon ourselves but seldom think that perhaps we are just fine the way we are!  These days social media is continually telling us that we are not enough! We need these "things" or these "products" to make ourselves feel better. Do we really though? Perhaps we could take the approach that we love ourselves "just the way we are" and the people we know "just the way they are" instead of  thinking otherwise.

Of course there is nothing wrong with self improvement but self acceptance is much underrated.  Also do you ever find yourself wishing someone you knew was different? Perhaps more punctual, more attentive, a better listener, or knew more about a subject you enjoy? What if you just focused on the things you do like about that person or yourself? In other words saying, "I love you just the way your are!" 

I think Billy Joel really captured the feeling in the rhythm of the song as well, when he wrote it. As we move through life maybe try looking through a different lens, a lens of acceptance. I feel our world would be a better place for it. 

Have a wonderful weekend! 



No comments: